Monday, February 10, 2014

Chapter 4 Assistance in Learning

Chapter 4 Assistance in Learning was an interesting read. My favorite part of the chapter was learning about the fix-up strategies. In early November I attended a Kagan training. Kagan's focus is  on the students working collaboratively to understand what they are learning. The fix -up strategies  would pair nicely with my students working together. I learned a long time ago that the students learn better when they work together to analyze what they are learning and justify the things that they have learned.

I battled with this chapter in many ways. While I understand that reading is a culmination of strategies for the students to learn, apply, analyze, and discuss, I also know that the pacing guide doesn't allow for ample amounts of time to develop mature readers. I often excite my students about a subject, attempt to access prior knowledge, and address misconceptions the down side of this is that just as we get rolling on a particular story the week is over and we have to move on. The students get excited they want to learn more regarding a specific subject but we have to move on. So unless students have their own desire to learn more regarding a topic we continue on. I think the school systems should pick better material and gain more insite with less literature. Enforce critical thinking and allow teachers to use more adjunct methods. Students would become constructivist operating at the highest level of Bloom's taxonomy. Students would be encouraged, interpertations would be be accepted and the simple factural recall methods would have no place in the classroom. Students would have so much more insite into the passage. Ultimately, it would allow students indepth knowledge of the literature.

2 comments:

KH said...

Pacing guides do discourage reteaching and spending time exploring a reading. I can understand your frustration.

KH said...

Hi, you might want to look at Catherine's question in her post and respond: http://catherineirvine.blogspot.com/